Monday, September 23, 2013

Mama Hall

This week was insane...as usual. Transfers were crazy - there were so many last minute changes and a lot of drama. There were plenty of confused, angry and some overjoyed missionaries. I can't believe it will be me up there at the front next transfer meeting, separated from my companion forever! We got two new roommates on Tuesday...from the Tongan program! So now we speak English, Spanish and Tongan in our apartment. It's pretty tight and cozy in there now, but we're making it work. It sure is nice to have other sisters in the zone. Actually, we got 6 more sisters in the zone! I think the President got tired of me complaining about the lack of estrogen in our zone meetings. But it was really draining.
 
I can't remember if I mentioned this before but for some reason missionaries have been calling me Mama Hall a lot lately. I'm sure it's meant in flattery, but it makes me feel so old! I guess I am pretty old to these kids. The other day they were saying whatever you think, Mama Hall knows best! I laughed as we walked out the door and then my sweet, young companion silently tugged on my sleeve and as I looked over to her she timidly whispered, "Can I go to the bathroom?" Oh...sure, sweetpea, come on let's go take you to the potty. Well, now I actually think I might be a mom. Seriously, where did the sleeve tugging come from though? That is not a one time occurrence. Oh heavens.
 
Some fun quotes from my presh companion this week include:
"I didn't know Samuel the Lamanite was a Lamanite!"
"You don't have to shampoo twice every day?"

In other random missionary news. I was doing an exchange in my last area the other day and we went to do service at a city park near the airport. It's basically the backyard to the airport...a city mandated park because too many planes crash land there. Oops. The missionaries that serve there have created a game, plane jumping. As the plane shadow comes roaring in across the park...they JUMP! Then there is a lot of laughter. I'm not sure I really got it, but they really loved it. So I tried it once. It was kind of a thrill! Oh the things we come up with to make the mission exciting when you don't have television. Speaking of television...I hope everyone is prepared to re-watch all the shows and movies you've seen in the past year and a half that will be like Christmas morning to me! Woohoo!
 
It was quite rainy Saturday and although I love the rain and I'm pretty sure California needed it, we were down lessons, contacts, investigators and pretty much all of our goals for the week. I was counting on Saturday being our big day...and then the rain killed it. I stared out the window for a few minutes feeling hopeless, defeated and so tired. We stayed inside to plan for our week until it calmed a bit. Before we left the house we said a pleading, well it was really just pure begging, prayer for help. We had so much to get done and only a day and a half in the week left to do it, we needed some serious help. We headed off, me still with a doubting heart, but it wasn't even 4 hours later that we had 4 new investigators, several lessons, a hundred contacts and full bellies. I couldn't believe it. Actually, I haven't believed a lot that has happened the past few weeks. I'm sad it took me until the last bit of my mission to figure out this little deal about sheer desperation and faith. I really am not capable of doing this work alone. The only way it gets done and the best way it gets done is with the Lord. It's not until we realize that we let ourselves be completely in His hands that things happen...the way they should. I thought back to the moment I growled at the rain through my window...when the outcome was bleak with no ray of hope. That's not what the Lord knew. He knew better and the moment we turned that over to Him, the moment we founds success. How grateful I am to my mission for these simple and life changing lessons that it has so brilliantly shined before my eyes. Now, the hard part, making sure I don't forget them. No wonder we have to hear the same stories over and over again. Idiots.
 
xoxo,
Hna Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment