Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Spider killer

I'm now the official Sister Spider Killer. Seriously, that seems to be my #1 duty when I go out to visit other sisters in the mission. I've heard a lot of different types of screams and I've learned a variety of techniques for squishing and not making messes or causing further distress to the victims of these spider attacks. The other day I was in Gilroy (garlic land) and the Sisters walked right by a black widow, I thought they were going to pass out. I decided to not try and squish that one with a tissue so we just kept walking. Anyway, I'm putting this on my resume now.
 
For some reason, we have a lot of really young investigators. I love it because it keeps me on my toes and reminds me to always teach the gospel in really, really simple terms. Plus, it's like primary every day. We were teaching this 13 yr old boy about the Plan of Happiness and that we all get our bodies back again only they will be perfect, we won't be sick or anything. He yelled back to his grandma (who was sick) "Grandma, go to the spirit world to get better!" Then he stopped, thought and said, 'never mind, not right now...but like later". haha. The best. As we were ending the lesson, I asked who wanted to pray and they both shot their arms up in the air, hopped out of their chair saying "me, me, me!" I giggled. Then they decided the most fair way would be to paper, rock, scissors for it. Who does that?! PRS to get the chance TO pray?! I almost cried. Then they decided that wasn't enough so they just took turns during that actual prayer saying a line at the time. Probably not technically orthodox, but super presh so I didn't mind. Kids. I love their sweetness.
 
Speaking of kids, I'm still in charge of teaching music in the primary. I'm still confused on how that happened, but I'm enjoying it. With yesterday being Father's Day, I led all the kids up front to sing their daddy song. It was so sweet as I'm sure most of you were able to experience yesterday as well. Such a special spirit fills the room when children are singing so sweetly even when they have no idea what the words are. I've been teaching them a verse a week of the Book of Mormon Stories. Did you know there are 8? I didn't, but there are. We are on verse 4. I can now teach anyone all of the words plus coordinating hand motions. I'm putting that on my resume too.
 
This past weekend our ward had a taco sale to raise funds for the young women to go to girl's camp. Taco sale Saturday in a Spanish ward is my favorite thing ever. We asked if we could make it a little bigger and include a church tour and maybe have other games and things going on to encourage more ahem...non members...to stop by. It totally worked! We had so many people coming in and out of the church - it was fantastic! We set up a cute tour course throughout the building and strategically placed photos, pamphlets and videos for people to take. We had some music playing in the chapel that just lit up the place and the tour finished in the baptismal room with the font doors open (we wanted to just have that font filled and ready to go, but others frowned upon that). We had the Bible video of Jesus getting baptized just playing on repeat and anytime you walked into that room you couldn't help but be hit in the face with the spirit. It was perfect! I was reminded how powerful it can be to just be in a place of worship. There really is a difference, you can feel it, you can almost touch it. People might have come to get full on tacos, but I know they left both full in body and full in spirit. Now that is true happiness. Not to mention we also had a bouncy house...gotta finish off with that.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment