Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Starburst Missionary

Well things didn't turn out at all like I expected last week. Shocking. We went from 4 sister missionaries in the ward to 2. I lost 1 companion then another and then 2 roommates. It's a little weird that I lost a bunch of sisters around me when there are about 5 million that just came in. I'm now in a zone with 16 Elders and just us two in dresses. I have no idea how that happened, there are some zones now with more Sisters than Elders.  Apparently it's time to work with the boys. Good thing I've had a ton of practice.
 
We had a zone meeting the other day and I was in charge of a presentation on finding new investigators. There have been some interesting things going on in other zones in the mission and ours has the worst numbers right now...except for the Sisters...we hold them afloat. Ahem, humility. There is a zone that has a goal to get 21 baptisms this month and they are doing some crazy things to make that happen and it's totally working. We don't have any investigators...except ours...in the entire zone. So we have a tiny problem. I look around at these poor Elders and they are just so discouraged, they don't know what to do and they feel awful. I had a long chat about our situation here with Zone Leaders and we have to change things up. So I decided to pump them up with sugar! Then I rambled on, using the example of Nefi breaking his bow. We had an awesome discussion about how we really can do this with what we have. We can make a bow out of wood and the Lord will guide us.  We can find food, I mean investigators! We can be super stoked and happy missionaries! We can turn this zone around! We can do things to make this area shine! We can be Starburst Missionaries! Then I threw a bunch of Starbursts at them as we all screamed and pumped our fists up in the air with excitement! "I want to be a STARBURST MISSIONARY!" It was epic. We set some good zone goals and hopefully we can move forward with a more positive outlook. Satan loves it when the missionaries are discouraged...we're going to punch him in the face with Starbursts!
 
Other things that went down this week in Santa Clara...I spent a lot of time distracting kittens while my companion taught the good word of God. It wasn't the hardest thing I've had to do, but I did get a few scars out of it. 
 
I love seeing little miracles, or I guess some people say tender mercies, but really to me they are miracles. I love that on a mission since our focus is the gospel, we get to see them everywhere. I think it's a lot harder to see the little miracles in normal life, when there is so much other noise and concern. Each little miracle gives me a smile and it just adds another pebble to my collection of testimony that tells me God loves us and He made a way for us to come back and that way is Jesus Christ. Looking for those miracles can often be tedious, but I've seen them and when we find them they are so worth it. Find some of your own this week. I promise they are there. It will brighten up your day. It's just as my crazy convert would always sing to me in voicemail: miracles can happen if you just believe. True that.
 
xoxo,
Hna Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment