Monday, May 20, 2013

National Geographic


What happens when you give the oldest missionary in the mission 3 new baby missionaries, a mini tramp and an inflatable mattress?! Chaos and hilarity ensue and someone for sure is going to poke their eye out while I just watch from the couch and moan about my old back hurting. That's what happens. This week was the craziest transfer I have ever experienced in my life. We received 25 new sister missionaries, not one over the age of 21 and most not more than 20. Their eyes are huge and they can't stop bouncing. I was getting exhausted just watching them from afar. I spent most of this week being mother duck, helping her ducklings waddle across the road. Yesterday, I turned around and I literally had a tail of 5 sister missionaries following exactly in my footsteps. It was so presh. We could be in National Geographic.
 
Yesterday I got to step, literally, into a huge family feud. There was food being thrown, people's honor being ripped apart and a dog yapping in the background. As politely firm as I could be, I let them know that they clearly need more Jesus up in the home. They stared at me for a good 30 seconds frozen, mid throw and then all agreed. And now we are teaching the whole family. Woohoo! Family feuds and home destruction: 0, Jesus: 1 million.
 
I didn't have to eat anything crazy this week, but I did get horrifically sick off American pizza. What the heck America? Maybe, it's part of my Latina transition. My blood is chilifying! 
As for lessons learned this week, there are tons. My precious sweet companion broke down the other day during companion inventory...mi malo. And no, I did not induce it, but the outcome was a really great discussion on our own weaknesses and how we grow from recognizing and overcoming them. I shared some personal experiences from my life about how I had to recognize that some parts of my personality just weren't doing me any good and that almost every talent/gift we have can be used for good or for evil. There is a promise in the scriptures that the Lord will take our weaknesses and he will make them strengths, but first we have to hand them over to him. Obviously, this is the hardest part. How do we hand it over to the Lord though? I seems that humility is clearly the first step. Ok, I admit it, I have this weakness and I want to overcome it and then I think we look to other people that we admire and watch how they behave. Christ is the perfect example, but there are many people in our lives every day whom we respect and can learn valuable things from. I think we should watch them, and with our own personality mimic the things we like that they do. There is no more perfect truth than we should be unto others as we would like them be unto us. And as I told my companion, be patient with yourself, we are not expected to get it all at once and be perfect otherwise there would be no point to this life. Take it one step at a time. Get up each morning with the objective to do one thing better. That's how we get there and you know what, we will make it because the Lord will help us.
 
Have a great week, friends!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment