Monday, May 6, 2013

Care Bear


Care bears. I was in love when them when I was a little girl...when they first existed which trips the babes out around here. I still remember my favorite, Rainbow, and I'm pretty sure I've kept him locked up in Mom's house. He was my joy, except for the Popables because they were just so cool. So the other day at the Pulga I found a care bear puppet and squealed as I paid the lady $1 for it. She was in a booth just down a bit from us and about an hour later she walked over and handed me two more care bears she had found in her stash and she just wanted to give them to me for free because she could tell how happy the first had made me. I almost burst into tears...out of nostalgia and out of this sweet, unexpected gesture at one of the most hard core shopping environments outside of Morocco I've experienced. One of the bears actually talks and tells me nice things, but that's another story. What I realized later is that the care bears I now own have a sun, moon and stars...my missionary brain went fluttering and I now have a new object lesson for the Plan of Salvation. The Glory Bears. People are going to be on a waiting list to be baptized.
 
On to the sweet gesture from a stranger. What a precious lesson I learned at the Pugla that day, I can barely put it into words. The mission has put my life focus on other people...something I'm not perfect at all the time, but it has certainly improved. We spend every day thinking about others and how we can help them see how special they are, how important they are and what they mean to a loving Heavenly Father. Most of the world is completely jaded, true love and hope just don't exist in their eyes. There is nothing greater than watching someone's eyes light up as they learn how important they are to the most important being in the universe. And then there are Pulga ladies...who just get it. I'm sure it wasn't a huge sacrifice for her, but to me it meant the world and it reminded me that we are here on this earth for others. We really can change someone's day and we can really help them understand who they are to change their life. These things really do lie in our hands and with the help of Jesus Christ we can make a difference not only in our earthly and eternal happiness but in everyone we encounter. The Care Bears are about just that, they care, they bring joy...oh how I want to be a care bear and wear happiness on my belly to bring that happiness to others. Have a care bear week and share your happiness with someone too...they probably need it more than you do.
 
xoxo,
Hna Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment