Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holland!


Elder Holland paid us a visit this weekend. It was epic. I knew he was a yeller based on all his General Conference talks, but in person, 20ft away...he really yells! It shakes you to the core. We all got to line up and shake his hand. I was so nervous about what I was going to say or that I might trip in front of his face, but when I got up there I shook his hand, smiled and said hello, but he wouldn't let go of my hand! He looked me in the eyes and said, "how's that red hair treating you?" I said "Amazing" and then I giggled all the way back to my seat. He loves my hair! An Apostle loves my hair! I feel so special. We had to sit and listen to two other speakers before he got up, it was the worst. I'm sure they were fine talks, but all I could think about was wanting them to stop talking so we could hear from Holland. I've heard the taped version of his talk while I was in the MTC, but it was much cooler in person and he changed some things like saying "San Jose" that made us feel like it was for us. He spent a lot of time talking about Preach My Gospel and how that revolutionized how missionary work is done. I was sitting there thinking how grateful I am that I didn't go on my mission 10 yrs ago because I get to benefit from the fly by the seat of your pants missionary approach. I'm not sure if it really is a lot more work, but I know we have to rely on the spirit and that blesses us and the investigators so much. He talked about how the PMG program, which started with President Hinkley, was designed to change the missionary. He then yelled at us for a minute and told us that we are doing our job right, we aren't getting our 'money's' worth if we do not let this mission change our souls. That seemed really deep so I'm going to ponder on that for awhile. I think it already has, but I really want to make sure I really get my money's worth on this mission. Then I'll come back and tell you all about it every day...all the time...until you all want to punch me in the face.
 
In other news...my Spaniard extended her first baptismal invitation this week and the lady said yes. I was so proud and she was doing a little dance outside the house. So cute. The only problem is this lady is trying to get back to Mexico in two weeks so we are searching for every possible loophole to get her baptized before she leaves. I will find it. ha. Speaking of my Spaniard, yesterday she opened a bottle of sangria that had been shaken ever so slightly and instead of closing it immediately like we do in America...she turned it right towards me like they do in Spain. Of course I'm the one wearing white...yeah I know, I don't wear white, but I was. So here I am at dinner, now dripping with sangria...on my face, my hair, my plate, my lap and my new tie dyed shirt. Good thing this was the last appointment of the day and I've already made a fool of myself at this home so they are used to me covered in red, sticky goo. I guess I need to teach Spain how to open American bottles. She is so precious.
 
The adventures of the Spanish speaking redheaded missionary to be continued next week...
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment