Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Smile!


Someone challenged me to a smile competition the other day at service. That might have been one of the dumbest decisions of their life as they stood no chance in any universe of beating me. We work several hours at a community center that gives away free clothing, it's set up like a store and we are there to help the customers. The object was to get as many people to smile at us in an hour. I chuckled at the task. With these eyes, this hair and my big grin...these people didn't stand a chance! Naturally I smoked everyone getting 80 smiles...the next closest missionary had 30. Losers. haha. My next big challenge...humility.
 
This was a rough week for referrals. We received a ridiculous amount of fake addresses. Some were to houses that existed but other people lived there and were most definitely not interested and the others were just your plain old condemned houses on the corner. I laughed for a good 10 min at the last one we walked up to with spray paint all over the busted windows. They could have just told me no at the Pulga but instead maybe they just wanted me to have a good laugh. That's nice. Speaking of the Pulga, I picked up quite a few referrals this week with my Jesus song and dance. Don't worry, it's very conservative and tasteful...enough for the Pulga. If anyone ever thought Mormons were boring, I have for sure proven them wrong. Nice try Evangelicals! Not to point fingers. Speaking of Pulga adventures...a crazy man got ahold of one of the Hermanas, anointed her forehead with some creepy oil and started yelling some weird saving grace chant at her. The poor thing. Luckily we bring the Priesthood with us to the Pulga and they put an end to that crazytown and blessed her back to the righteous side. Yikes. I bought her some strawberries, I think those helped the most. They were way fresh.
 
Since Spain and Chile can't eat anything spicy...go figure...I have stepped up as the closer for any food they are unable to put down. Me. I eat the spicy food. That is how the mission has changed me. I no longer have a sissy tongue. I am also a better person overall...well at least a little.
 
Can we talk about how cruel Daylight Savings is to missionaries. That one hour is priceless and it was just robbed. It's going to take me two weeks of going to bed 10 min early to make up for the horror that was Sunday morning. Good heavens.
 
We taught the Restoration to a cute Filipino girl the other day who most definitely does not speak Spanish (referral mix up). She prayed out loud for the first time and afterward was so filled with 'goodness' she couldn't stop giggling and smiling. It made my heart burst as I explained to her that was the Holy Ghost and she can feel that any time she wants. I haven't seen someone so happy in a long time. It reminded me once again of the beautiful gift we have of the Holy Ghost. It's a totally legit drug for our almas (souls). She also reminded me how easy it is to feel the happiness the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring. We need only ask for it. There are just so many things in this world that seek only to distract us from the simple beauty of a warm, happy heart, but there is no greater joy. I am so happy that I helped her feel that and I'm so glad she reminded me that I can feel that too. Go get your spirit on...pray hard, be happy.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment