Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lucky Hair


People have been touching my hair a lot...for good luck. That was new and a little odd, but I really can't blame them and it probably does bring good luck. I should sell it.
 
Daylight savings was a little treat from heaven, but my body just absorbed that hour and wanted more. The only thing that really changed was the sun now blinds me in the morning and we have another awkward hour each night where we can't safely do any work in about 80% of our area. So that's going to be interesting. Halloween was weird. California is weird. There are a lot of gun shots and drunk people. It's likely the part of town we are in because I heard in the rich area there were awesome, free haunted houses and all those missionaries got tons of candy and free food. We had to be home early, we couldn't dress up or participate in shenanigans so we went home and watched Legacy and I made my companion rewind the kiss scene a hundred times and giggled each time. When there is a drought, you'll drink whatever you find.
 
The other day a precious little toddler asked me if I had a baby in my belly. At first I thought I misunderstood him, but when his mom covered her face in shame and giggled I knew I had translated that right. I told him no but he didn't believe me so he poked me to find out. I don't know what he determined from that poke but I assured him there was nothing but beans and rice in there. At least the old people still love me. It kills me every time I walk into that place and they start clapping and chanting BINGO, BINGO like we're at a pep rally. My 90 yr old Filipino boyfriend gave me a huge bag of persimmons and some weird green fruit that smelled like a dentist office, but I ate it. An old Asian lady came up, squeezed the crap out of my arm, smiled and in broken English said "B-Four" in my exact same sing-song voice. Best thing ever.
 
We had to walk an investigator from the bus stop to the capilla the other day and I quickly realized that she walks a lot. I could not for the life of me keep up. I was huffing and puffing and getting further and further behind. Then all of a sudden a little tiny dog started following me, with a little yap and nipping at my heels. He was taunting me! It's like he was yelling at me, "you're not even trying!" (thank you 80's Matt). Needless to say I think I got my exercise for that day.
 
We stopped by two former investigators a few days ago to see if they'd be interested in learning more again. They graciously let us in, because they are Latin and they are all nice like that. I told them I was from Jalisco, Mexico and they totally believed me. haha good times. They also had a dog that loved to nip at my feet. Maybe my tiny feet look like little hot dogs. Anywhoo, as we were sitting there listening to them I realized this might be the time they actually do accept the gospel and just how important the Lord's timing is in all of this. We really never know when someone is going to be ready to accept the gospel, we just do everything we can to bring the spirit into people's home and hope that something pricks their heart so they have a desire to grow a little closer to Jesus Christ. Sometimes that happens immediately and for others it takes years and a lot of missionaries. Then as it goes, I realized that's the same with us. There are so many things in my life, like scripture reading for one, that have taken me years to accept. How many times have I chosen whether knowingly or ignorantly to reject an invitation to come closer to my Savior. The signs are all there but they can often be easy to overlook. As missionaries we have to be very patient and loving with people, just as the Savior would, but it's also our job to help them see the things they just can't. I'm grateful for this opportunity because in the process the Lord is showing me those things that I've missed too. That's the bonus of the Lord's work, any time we do something for him, he blesses us even more. Blessings all around.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment