Friday, November 16, 2012

Another one bites the dust


Another possessed investigator: check. I'm starting to gain a reputation around here as the Sister that brings out the crazies...but also the one that has the best weekly stories! This time I actually got to witness what happens to someone's face when they let the demon inside. yikes! Not to worry, I was prepared with my garlic and stake...wait that's not for...anyway I was prepared to pounce if needed and protect my baby companion and I also had the word of God in my hand to bonk her unconscious. We survived unharmed although the President informed us we are not to have any contact with her. She's been calling us every 10 min for the past two days...the voice mails are even creepier with just stale air. Eek! The devil is calling but we ain't answerin'. Take that Satan! Needless to say she will not be getting baptized Sunday. Oops.
 
I spoke this past week at the Mission Conference with Elder Gavarett. I had no idea how nervous I'd be until I got up there and my knees were shaking so hard I almost knocked myself over. Not to fear, the talk was well received and I even got a nice firm handshake from the man. I spoke about the Book of Mormon and told a story about my mom and me when we first moved to Texas. We were trying to get to the Target on MoPac and 290, but if anyone recalls, it's confusing and if you don't know anything about u-turns like we didn't at the time, it's impossible to get there. So I was sharing this experience about how we just couldn't make it to the Target, we could see it, smell it and practically touch it but we just couldn't get there. We eventually gave up and went home. Later someone mentioned to us that you have to take the u-turn to get there. We had no idea what they were talking about, but ventured out again and as we approached, this time really looking, we saw the tiny lane under the bridge that brought us safely to the Target. We didn't stand a chance getting there until someone pointed this little road out to us. I then compared this to life and how we often have no idea where we are going. Thankfully we have a loving Heavenly Father who has given us tools to help guide us, one of these is the Book of Mormon, a modern day GPS. Then I shared 1 Nefi 16:16, about how Lehi and his family were guided on their desert course by the Liahona. What I love about this verse is that not only were they guided by the ball, but they were taken to the most fertile parts of the land. Sure, in life we can be moving in some direction, but without the holy guidance of our modern GPS, the Book of Mormon, we won't be able to find the most 'fertile' paths of life. I then reminded everyone how as missionaries (or as members of the church) it's our sacred responsibility to help our brothers and sisters that can't see the path or that think they are going in the right direction but are clearly not find those little u-turns by studying the scriptures. It is only by following the direction of the Book of Mormon that we can have the most happy life, to have all that God has promised us, to obtain all the blessings and to make it back to that big red bullseye, eternal life with our heavenly family. I obviously also bore testimony of the Book of Mormon. Because it's true. Amen. Apparently I done did a good job because he requested a personal interview with me after. I'm a gold star missionary! yippee!
 
Ack! I don't have time today to share our mindblowing Friday night adventure when I had to get the Elders to break into a member's apartment...on the second floor...by climbing a tree, jumping over a 6 foot gap onto a dark balcony full of dangerously sharp objects, but I'll be sure to fill you all in on the adventures of our super hero Elder next week. Stay tuned.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment