Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Senior Scarefest


Friday BINGO was cancelled as a result of the senior Halloween Party and it was totally worth it. I'm still kicking myself that I forgot about it so I left my camera at home. I cannot believe how spirited these seniors got and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. They went all out with their costumes and they were parading around the place like they were in middle school. There was even a 90 year old lady of the night. I couldn't believe it, tears were shooting out of my eyeballs when she walked in with her fishnets and corset top. My poor companion was mortified, completely frozen solid. Then Wendy, our Asian friend, brought us costumes she insisted we put on right then. I glanced down at the description of the bag she handed me, "Sexy Cat", complete with studded ears and bell collar. She watched as we both put them on and I could feel my companion's innocence shriveling up inside. It was glorious! There we were, two missionary sexy cats standing among 90 year old hookers. Halloween is amazing.
 
I've been in some serious hot sauce training and it's paying off. A few days ago I ate some freshly made salsa that really kicked up in my mouth, but I pushed through the sweat and the tears and yesterday I was able to eat two jalapenos like they were pickles! My Spanish isn't any better, but I feel like they take me more seriously when I can eat the hot sauce. It's the sacrifices we make for the gospel that bring about those miracles. I'm just talking one for team Jesus.
 
We had a pretty rough week so I needed a restaurant break. We were driving around, but I was so grumpy nothing sounded good. All of a sudden I saw the green lettering of the Olive Garden. For some reason I had a double take, asked my companion if she liked the place - never been! - so I flipped a u-ie and we went in for some serious breadstick/alfredo therapy. After we were seated, a lovely waitress came up and welcomed us with 'hi, sisters'. Naturally, our ears are up, we're so famous! Sure enough she was a member...that hasn't been to church in 7 months...and had just moved into our ward boundaries. WHAT?! After she took our drink orders and walked off I looked at my companion and our mouths dropped and I said, whelp I guess the Holy Ghost talks to me through my stomach. We had a great chat with her about church and the blessings of coming back and all chuckled as this was clearly a call from God to get back there. We left happy, stuffed and hopefully helped a lost sheep return back to the fold. It's the Olive Garden miracle!
 
Satan has been a big fat jerkface to us recently. It wasn't until the mission that I realized how hard he works on discouraging us. I love how everything is so cut and dry on the mission because you're only worried about one thing so if you feel anything bad or negative, it's Satan - it makes things so easy! I don't think I was prepared for how much Satan would try to discourage us, but it got me thinking about other times in my life when he was doing the same thing and I didn't even realize it. He's so sneaky and he uses these little negative feelings, moments of frustration or discouragement to take away our feelings of hope and peace so it becomes harder for us to feel the promptings of the Holy Ghost. It's a mad genius plan and it works! It's hard to remember that it's the adversary beating us down when we feel that way because nothing seems to be going right but really it's those times when we have to remember that there is only one reason the adversary is working so hard on us...it's because we are capable of so much!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment