Thursday, October 4, 2012

Heat Wave


It has been 100 degrees here in San Jose the past two days which is not exactly foreign to me, but it is the hottest it's been since I got here so that's been weird. So I have no idea what's going on with the weather, but it's killing us because, remember how I said no one here seems to have air conditioning...yeah. Oh and how they all have pleather couches that just stick to you real nice when you're all good and sweating. I was basically dying in someone's home the other day trying to bear testimony of the gospel and at the same time realizing I was super glued to that couch. I had to stand up real fast and hold in the scream because that ripped like duct tape.
 
Well our special musical number was quite the sensation on Sunday. I stood up there and as soon as I started to sing I could see peoples mouths drop open as the voice of an angel filled the chapel. ha. Or it could have been the fact that I was singing in Spanish. But everyone was shocked and complimented me mucho. That was nice. I was praying so hard the Holy Ghost would sing for me and I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
 
Well all the gangbangers love me. I mean, it's not really something I've ever done before, but apparently I can speak the word on the street or it might be the name tag and my angelic body guards. We have a lot of ex-gang member investigators and we meet at lot during service throughout the week. They are surprisingly respectful and are always saying sure thing, lil' white girl, plus they are all about Jesus, sure that's mixed in with a lot of messed up grammar and swear words but they know about their Jesus.
 
This past weekend we got to watch the Women's General Conference...in Spanish. I actually really enjoyed listening to it in Spanish because the voices were melodic and I didn't have to hear the squeaky, crying mom voices they all have. haha I'm terrible, but it's true! Why do they all sound like that?! I don't get it. But the conference was really good. I'm always amazed when I understand what's going on in Spanish, but it turns out I actually can understand and speak it. Miracles.
 
We've been hyping up General Conference this weekend to everyone we see like it's a big ole party. The other day while contacting on the street we ran into a group of Catholic ladies that shared their love of BYU TV with us. They even watched the Women's General Conference - my mouth dropped open - like even when you didn't have to out of guilt? haha j/k j/k. They talked about how much they love the BYU programming and the uplifting messages so obviously I mentioned General Conference coming up this weekend and what a great chance it is to hear from the Lord's prophet . They were super excited and are having a party to watch it. What? Ok, yeah, do that with all your Catholic girlfriends and then call us when you want to get baptized. Perfect. It was a great reminder to me though that our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, is not just the Mormon Prophet, he is God's prophet for the entire world and when he speaks he is speaking to the entire world, whether they know it or not. It is such a huge blessing to have these leaders of God's church here today, even the Catholics know it! Since being on my mission I have a great appreciation for the words of the prophets, they have hit me harder, stronger and are much more clear. It's a gift to missionaries, so I am looking forward to hearing all the glorious council they will have this weekend. What is amazing too is how personal conference can be and that's because their words are truly inspired so the Holy Ghost can touch each of our hearts and teach us something very unique and special just for us. We've been encouraging people to have some questions, concerns or thoughts in mind as they watch General Conference this weekend and listen carefully for those individual prickles of the spirit. I would encourage all of my friends reading this to do the same and I know that as you really listen for those answers things will stand out that seem like it was meant just for you, because that's how awesome this Gospel of revelation is. Something broadcast to the whole world can hit the heart of one person like a ton of bricks. The Holy Ghost is the best teacher in the world! I'm so glad he has my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment