Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Fairy Tale Thing


Well, I failed at food eating for the first time. We had dinner at an inactive member's house the other day and she served us the biggest plate in the history of mankind with rice, shrimp and...MUSHROOMS. gag. It actually tasted just fine and I gulped down the mushrooms as best I could but there was just no way I was going to fit that plate in my belly. It may look like I can eat that much, but really I'm a bird. Unless it's coated in chocolate - then I can eat everything. I got about a fourth of the way and knew I was doomed so I started eating strategically - only when they were looking at me and I would put a tiny bite in my mouth and chew real slow. Then wait. Then repeat. I still had half a plate full when they offered me more. Ahhh! But luckily they took pity on me and said I didn't have to eat it. They were probably a little offended, but they are just going to have to get over it. They should probably just come back to church.
 
After dinner we watched the Joseph Smith movie with them and talked about the Restoration. They have a non-member adult son and he was like yeah I believe JS was a prophet. And we were like really?! What?! Let's talk...but then he just talked...for 2 hours. I was having the hardest time understanding him, it was really hot in there and I was stuffed with rice, shrimp and did I mention mushrooms so I was basically half asleep. Then of course, I had to pee real bad. I didn't know how I could politely cut him off so I did my best to be patient praying he'd come up for air at some point. Finally I couldn't handle it so I blurted it out and they were like of course silly goose (only in Spanish) and I stood up only to find my dress stuck in the couch and my unmentionables out on display. Ahh good times. It was just a poquito awkwardo.
 
We did a ton of service this weekend. I think I mentioned it before that San Jose is a pilot mission for no tracting and for Just Serve so we do a LOT of service during the week. The stake had a clothing donation program Saturday and it was so amazing. It reminded me of the Pismo Beach Disaster Relief (someone better get that) and it was stellar! We gave out like 30 copies of El Libro de Mormon and tons of Jesus movies. The Latins love Jesus. All things Jesus. It's great! It was such a huge success, I was so impressed. We had a few homeless people stop by too which I'm sure was very needed and thank heavens no one tried to get naked and try on clothes in the middle of the cultural hall. Phew.
 
Things are still booming out here in San Jose for the Lord! We got two new Elders - really tall. One is from Guatemala and the other is a whitey, but they are both super new and super pumped to work hard. Thank heavens! Things are just going to be bursting at the seams here. We are going to have a line at the baptismal font in no time! We have some hurdles with a few of our investigators like David A's BFF - apparently his pet bird is sick so he to be with her and can't come to church. Um. I'm learning compassion with that one or at least fine tuning my tongue biting skills. But we keep getting new investigators so we are never lacking for people to preach the word to! We've extended several baptismal invitations and they all said yes - shocking, but awesome. haha. Thank goodness for the spirit! He's pretty amazing.
 
At one of our lessons recently we were talking about the trials and stages of life and while my companion was talking and I was day dreaming...I mean, listening intently...I was thinking about fairy tales. ha. That sounds hilarious. Anyway, it's religiousy, I was thinking about how our existence really is like a fairy tale. We often say life isn't a fairy tale, but we just haven't made it to the end yet. We start out all happy, singing with the birds and bunnies in the premortal life with God then we come down here to be tortured and poisoned by the wicked step mom, but then, finally then - we live happily ever after in our kingdom in heaven with God. Ta-da! I enjoyed thinking about that this week. It gave me a new perspective. Yeah, life is rough. There are a lot of poisoned apples, but thank heavens there is always someone to save us. With the understanding of the restored gospel we know we can all have our happily ever after. I am so thankful for that. I'm also thankful for the prince I know is waiting for me...on a white horse, slaying dragons.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

1 comment:

  1. I have often had the same thoughts about the fairy tale correlation! Love you for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete