Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Yeah, we can see you there.


The overfeeding of the short, chubby redhead has begun. This is what happens when you start becoming popular in a ward, people want to express their love with food. I love me some food, but man. I tried to be careful in my prayers about this, we really want to have dinners with members, but I also don't want to die from bean overdose. It's a rough line. I'm walking it. Also I drank oatmeal water. Exactly that, oatmeal...in water. It was a real drink. I enjoy me some aqua frescas but this was a new one. It wasn't as bad as it sounds but it does taste exactly as it sounds. Weird. After the dinner, the member wanted us, just the two of us lovely missionaries to sing hymns to her. So we did. I'm sure it was angelic to all who hearkened upon it.
 
The past week our investigators started scattering from us like roaches in the light. I just compared our investigators to roaches. My bad. But you get the idea. The other day we got stood up so as we drove off we saw him hanging out at his spot by the payphone on the corner. He saw us, we parked and he RAN! No joke. He ran from us. bahaha. That was a first for me. I couldn't stop laughing. So yeah, it's hilarious when people try to hide from the missionaries as if they think they are magically invisible. Even if we didn't have the power of sight, we have the power of God, we can feel you there. Nice try, we'll stalk you down another day. We stalked down another investigator last night and it ended up being an awesome lesson, we made her cry - the good kind - and picked up three of her family members as new investigators. Bam, bam bam!
 
We finally got to visit with our bird loving friend yesterday as well. He's a young single guy so I obviously felt it best to try a little "flirt to convert" only I remembered I can't do that so I asked the cute, single girl in our ward to come along. mwahaha. She's a little shy, but agreed. Towards the end of the lesson I felt really strongly that I should ask her to share her testimony of the Book of Mormon. I talked back to myself in my head saying that was just cruel to put her on the spot like that, but I did it, I opened my mouth and I threw her under the bus...and it was amazing! Her testimony was so sweet and so powerful. It was a perfect way to end the lesson. After she thanked me for making her do it and said she wants to do that more. Phew. I'm not telling her about the flirting thing though. That's my secret plan.
 
The highlight of the week was another baptism!! It feels a little like cheating because it was a 9 yr old girl of an recently reactivated family that we haven't taught much, but still we had a baptism on Saturday and it was awesome. We got a few potential investigators there too. Miracles!
 
Last week I had to teach district meeting again with last minute notice. I think the district leader likes taunting me. Shocking. As I was preparing for it I kept thinking man I wish I had a computer and could Google some articles about this. The closest thing we have to LDS.org google is a stack of old Liahonas so I went there. I pulled out one Ensign hiding in there and obviously the perfect article was right there! Who needs Google when you have the spirit?! Anyway, the topic was on goal setting and planning, A Time to Prepare by Elder Ian S. Arden. He happened to mention some time suckers like catapulting birds...my answer was clear - I needed to have an Angry Birds game/analogy. So I did. It was awesome. The gist, if our goal is to knock down those bricks to get the pigs (comparing investigators to pigs, I should think these things through a little more) then we must use the tools we have (different types of birds for scriptures, prayer, planning, etc) to achieve our goals. The Elders loved it and I quite enjoyed it as well. Making goals was not something I was good at before the mission. There is an awesome quote in Preach My Gospel from someone important that basically says if we don't set good goals we will one day look back on our lives and realize we didn't reach our potential (that's Hna Hall interpretation). I feel that way about my pre-mission life and I struggle with some feelings of regret by not setting better (more spiritually based) goals for my life. It's very clear on a mission how important setting goals and planning are, but I'm starting to really see the value of this in every aspect of life. If we don't set good goals with a gospel perspective in mind - goals that make us stretch a little bit - then we will never truly find our potential. What a shame. I want to be more awesome, so that is my new goal. Come be awesome with me...spiritually speaking of course. Yay!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall
 
P.S. more people should write me. Probably. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment