Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Power Prayer


Ah the mission life, another week full of random, strange, miraculous and awkward events crammed together in a glorious mesh. Our recent converts have been having some serious trials recently. This past week their son was shot in the street and it made the news, so I heard. He's alive and now in jail. So that's you know, totally normal. Since he's alive, we are hoping this might be kind of an Alma the Younger tale where he has some sense knocked back into him and becomes the world's best missionary. That would be awesome! Then the other day she finally got some really great news at the court, was so happy and then came home to an eviction notice - because of her crazy son. Yikes. I get nervous every time we go over to their house that something else bad has happened. They must have some big blessings ahead of them. They are still so strong, faithful and optimistic, if nothing else they have been a huge example to me in some serious trials, not just the kind of trials I have like when the cereal I want to buy is not on sale. Are you kidding me?!
 
Let's see, we were asked if we could cast out demons this week. I pulled out my wand and was ready to take care of business. But it turns out he was serious so we set him up with the Elders and we got the heck out of there. I got attack hugged by a drunk guy - he just wanted a birthday hug! Ick. I gave him a picture of Jesus and told him to go pray. He wanted a picture of the virgin Mary. Speaking of virgins, (awkward transition) we found this awesome video of the parable of the 10 Virgins. It's really captivating...until the end and all of a sudden it busts into this awesome 80's ballad talking about saving drops of oil and shows cheesy shots of people doing 'good' things. I busted out laughing the first time I watched it, then made my comp watch it and of course we took it to a family that night for FHE. I couldn't wait until that part to see the reaction of the 13 yr old. It was worth it. Oh and I think they learned something gospelly too.
 
The other day we had a lesson with a member referral and it was super awkward. They were happy to see us and invited us in, but didn't offer us to sit down. So us being polite and ladylike we patiently waited and commenced with pleasantries. Before I knew it my comp is busting out the Restoration and we are all still standing! And there we were, all 4 of us standing in front of couches for an hour. Several times I thought, it's probably ok if I just sit down, but I kept thinking I'll wait for a break to ask. Then I couldn't remember how to ask. Then the longer the standing went on the more awkward it became to say something. At one point I thought the investigator was about to sit down and I felt so relieved, but no, she just put her leg up on the couch. What?! How are you not super uncomfortable right now with all four of us standing in the middle of a couch filled room talking about Jesus! Ahh. Needless to say they didn't invite us back - my guess is they don't want to join a church they think they have to stand through. Me neither.
 
This week has been the week of prayer miracles. We pray like a billion times a day as a missionary. I am not going to lie, sometimes I don't want to pray in the car with my companion, but we do and we need to. This past week we have really seen the blessings and miracles that have come from our prayers as well as prayers from you, my family, the ward here and those in the temple. We've been struggling with several inactive families who love our visits but can't seem to make it back to church. The other day we did our usual stop by and at the door, their non-member, adult son announced he was going to take his parents to church on Sunday. What?! Yes, please. And thank you. Yesterday, a part member family we'd been working with invited us for dinner and afterward we were able to share a wonderful message on prayer with the non-member father who didn't run from us this time and at the end he committed to pray with his family every day. What?! Yeah, these are miracles from prayers. It's also very timely because my comp and I have been talking a lot about Alma the Younger recently and how the angel appeared to him to snap him back into gear because of the faithful prayers of his father and the whole town. This week I want to add my testimony to this amazing Book of Mormon story of prayer. I have never been very good with prayers, basically a prayer slacker, but I have gained such a great appreciation for them as I can see first hand everyday how Heavenly Father answers them. He never answers in expected ways, because he's God and he knows better, but he always answers with more blessings than we could imagine. I also want to thank all of you praying for me, my brothers and all the missionaries around the world. It is by the faith of your prayers that angels are truly visiting people and changing their lives - in fact, saving their souls. Thank you and never stop believing in the power of the prayer.
 
Oh and just so everyone can be at ease, I have mastered the art of parallel parking once again. It's hilarious how tedious backing up can get on the mission so you really only want to do that once. Now if only I could master backing up out of a lesson that just went an hour too long...
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment