Monday, July 30, 2012

Raining Referrals


So it's just raining referrals on us right now. We are running around like crazy and it's the best kind of work! We have a very VIP referral right now, Everardo. He has been sent to us by David Archulleta (he was on American Idol, mom). No joke and I also have no idea how to spell his name. Someone Google him and tell me if he's from California cause I'm still a bit confused about how this all came about. We got a call last week from David's aunt while we were enjoying some Panera sandwiches and were told that Everardo was a golden contact and a personal friend of David, from American Idol, and that he wanted updates on our progress. Yikes. Good thing I can speak Spanish perfectly...oh wait, that's right I can't. Good thing I have the Holy Ghost! bam. The lesson went really well, he is pretty golden and he's super excited about our 3 hours of church and reading the Book of Mormon. Aside from famous people's referrals, we have some regular golden referrals we taught this week, so right now we've got a really great pot of really good investigators. It's been a stupendous week.
 
I've completed my first transfer here and I start driving tomorrow. I'm not going to lie I'm pretty excited about that, mainly because my poor companion really just can't drive. Thank heavens we are missionaries and have a protective bubble. I often felt like Gavin Gee with my hands wound so tightly around the door handle. Don't even get me started on our parallel parking adventures. I have to remember that my companion is 21 and despite what we think at that age, we really know nothing. Plus, I just figure I'm getting some motherhood training. Despite the daily near death experiences, she's been pretty great, so I wouldn't trade her if I could.
 
This past week we were in charge of two ward activities. The first was for relief society and it was a hit. We were talking about the Book of Mormon and we built an 'iron rod' course to the tree of life. They loved it. I gave them apples when they made it to the tree. I think they really enjoyed it and I think they actually understood some of my Spanish. Saturday night we had a big ward activity also on the Book of Mormon. We planned this with our Elders and we decided to act out the entire book in a serious of scenes and then break the ward into groups and have them act out other stories. We even made golden plates, which look totally authentic. Latin wards are even worse about being on time so we started about 45 min late and there weren't many people there. The Elders were being super babies about performing and were so sad about the attendance. Good thing I've seen horrible turn outs at plenty of activities I didn't break a sweat. Eventually more people showed up and we had some really great performances, everyone was laughing and having a great time and I think they learned a few things too. I call that a success. It's so weird to be in charge of activities. I'm never getting away from that job. It's way harder in Spanish though, that's for sure.
 
I hear the Olympics are going on. It reminds me of that one time I went to London. haha. It's so weird to not know about anything going on in the real world. We are literally in the world, but not of it out here. It certainly is nothing like I imagined. We do a lot of work, all day long, but at the end of the day it doesn't feel like you really did that much 'work' at all. The Lord pretty much sets everything up for you. There have been so many things out here that have strengthened my testimony of this gospel, this church and the power of God. It's no joke that miracles happen. We see them every day and I feel so blessed that the Lord is allowing me to enjoy that for a time.
 
Thanks to all those who are praying for me. I could really feel the power of your prayers this week and I needed it. Blessings upon you all!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment