Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Ox was at the In and Out


I had some surprise visitors this morning! I think the evidence of this can already be located on the Facebook. We were getting ready to head to the library when a man appeared at our screen door. He looked really familiar, but I was too worried about a man being at my door that I couldn't figure out who it was, then he called me by name...my first name. WHAT?! It was Cameron! I couldn't believe it. Next, I see running up the stairs Melinda! It was so weird and totally awesome! They were just passing by on the way to San Diego, sneakily got my address and were just thinking they'd drop goodies off at the door. We took a few photos, hugged and they were off. It was so fun. I loved it. My poor companion was really confused. I just reminded her that I'm super popular and I have great friends all over the place! ha.
 
Another surprise - we now have 3 baptisms this Saturday! I just decided one was ok, but why not triple it? haha. That's not exactly how it happened, but that's what I tell people. Really, what happened is, we've been teaching a part member family, and her boyfriend (living in Mexico) decided to get baptized now so that really pushed her towards it. We've also been teaching her mother so I just started pretending like she was going to get baptized then too - and I made a calendar for her and just talked to them both as if they were doing it together. haha I'm so sneaky, but it totally worked! Yesterday when they were announcing the baptism, an investigator of the Elders was like hey, if they are doing it I might as well do it now too. No joke. So now we have 3! I can't believe the success we are having here. The Lord is just doing awesome things with these people and I get to watch! It does make me a tad nervous that my mission has started off with such a bang, it might not keep going that way...eek. But we will keep on working hard and the missionary work will do it's thing - of being amazing.
 
Whelp, now for the ox. Last night, on Sunday, two Mormon missionaries were found in the parking lot of In And Out. Egads! It was me! We had planned to take our two prebaptisimies to the Oakland Temple Visitors Center after church on Sunday, but it was really difficult to get all the details sorted out. We can't drive there and no one here has cars so it was a pain, but we finally go it sorted and headed up about 4 pm. We had a wonderful time, watched all the family presentation, saw the Christ statue, and the Testaments. The spirit was obviously so strong there and it was just everything missionaries could hope for...plus we had a potential investigator with us! (Baptism #4 soon to come...) Anwyay, by now it was 7pm, we had 3 kids with us and none of them had eaten. I managed to catch some discussion of going to get food and my companion looked back at me with sheer terror in her eyes. We've obviously done a great job of teaching the law of the Sabbath Day. But we went and it seemed like we were almost home and the idea had gone. The next thing I know we are puling up into a packed In And Out parking lot. My companion again looked back at me, all the blood gone from her face as if we had walked into a bar. Poor thing, she was helpless to do anything, you know the one of us that actually speaks Spanish, so I was like alright well...here I go. So in the all the strength and Spanish I could muster, I said - well somewhat in the vicinity of, "I'm so sorry, but we can't go in there. We will just wait here." Confused, blank stares. So I tried again, and pointed to our badge and said, we can't go eat in there on Sunday. (or something maybe close to that). At this point my companion got enough courage to clarify and although they were clearly hurt and annoyed, a few went in and the other investigator stayed with us. We had a great chat about the temple and 15 min later out came hamburgers. My comp didn't want to partake, but I figured I already did my job and that burger would just go to waste so the right thing to do was to eat the poor thing. haha. It was good. So there you go. Sometimes you can't control that stubborn ox and now we know we have to do a better job of talking about that little commandment #4.
 
I'm out of time now, but I just also wanted to mention that we had Zone Conference this week and it was super. It was a great chance to recharge and refocus. The President and his wife gave some wonderful words of encouragement. A few things they semi-quoted were about the feet of missionaries - somewhere in the scriptures it says they are beautiful those that carry the word of peace. I loved that. Also, they talked about us being warriors on the front lines. Man, it really feels that way sometimes. I had no idea, but I really can't also explain the wonderful blessing it has been in my life to be fighting on those front lines. Being here, lets me see the miracles that start out tiny and bring about life changing events and saving graces. It's absolutely astounding. I'm really learning quickly it's something you have to look for. We have to look everyday for the ways the Lord is guiding us and when we do, they are often glaring paths marked with more and more bits of blessings and opportunities. This is a glorious work of hope and peace and the Lord will not let it weaken. When we are ready, able and faithful He will pick us up and with us accomplish the miracles He has promised. I really do feel lucky to be here, as weird as it is to be a missionary, the blessings and knowledge are worth it. Look for those things every day, I wish I did, they are there and as you see them you'll see more - what a difference it will make, I promise!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment