Monday, July 23, 2012

Baptisms, bam bam!


Thanks to Lizzy I was reminded how to properly spell In-n-out. I kept thinking as I was writing it last week that it was so wrong, but for the life of me I couldn't remember how. I'd like to blame it on my Spanish, but let's face it, I can't spell any of those words either. Everyone will be glad to know that we did not have any problems keeping the Sabbath Day holy yesterday. In fact, we had two confirmations - just by the hair of our chiny chin chins! The baptisms on Saturday were awesome! They were a tad bit late and my companion was super stressed I thought she might pass out. I don't know if it's my age aka wisdom or if it's just my experiences with utter failures at ward activities but I wasn't breaking a sweat at all. I knew they would make it and I knew everything would be fine and it was. We also had like 60 people attending the baptism including the Mission President and A/Ps, about 3 investigators showed and we now have about 12 really good potential investigators so it was all around awesome. We had a feeling they were going to be late to Sacrament meeting for their confirmation so we decided to drive over there before church and see if we could 'help' them get out the door. I think it worked...a little and we arrived only 20 min late only to find the Mission President sitting on the stand. bahaha. Classic. But they did it and received some wonderful blessings. They just looked so happy and that made me all happy.
 
We just got asked out on a date outside of the McDonalds by some random guy. He came running after us asking me for our number and I was like oh yeah, you'd like to learn more about Christ? He was like what? I said, we're missionaries...oh, I just wanted to know if you'd go on a date with me. Oh no, we can't do that but we'd be happy to talk to you about our church. No thanks, he said, and he walked off broken hearted. Sad times. I try to bring a messenger for happiness, but you know every once in awhile you're going to break some hearts.
 
Yesterday was my first encounter with a two dinner evening. Oh man. We had a little mix up and ended up double booking and we really needed to visit these two part member families so we couldn't cancel on either. So we show up to the first, I ate as light as I could without appearing rude. Complimenting excessively helps. We had a wonderful lesson on families. Then we headed off to the next dinner and the whole way I was just praying I could eat another plate of food. Sure enough I could. It was like the never ending oil pot - a true miracle. We had another great lesson with them on the Plan of Salvation and somehow I managed to avoid passing out do to excessive eating. Mission miracles are legit. Speaking of food, I also had my first serving of pig soup. I can't remember what it was actually called but there was for sure a pig foot sitting right there in the middle of the bowl. The soup itself wasn't bad, but I really could not get over that big squishy foot staring at me. I also didn't really know how to eat the soup. It was a learning experience that I would like to choose never to have again. Ick, just thinking about it now makes me a little queasy. You're welcome.
 
Let's see what else happened this week...oh right, thanks Rebekah for the tip. I do try to keep a list, but keeping something in my planner sounds way smarter - thanks. (ps if you have tips on Spanish ayudame for reals). We spend most of the week getting ready for the baptism and making sure they had all the lessons they needed and we spent a huge part of the week trying to hunt down one of our drunk investigators. Poor guy. We've had some awesome lessons with him, but that jerkstore Satan is working hard on him. The most amazing thing though is every time we go out looking for him, we will randomly run across him on another street or we will run into another person that is interested in meeting with us. That has to be the most amazing thing to experience, being a part of the Lord working miracles. Love it. Also a full time job, turns out. Woah.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall
 
P.S. we have our own personal discoteca next door. Turns out it's super good background music to the Book of Mormon.

No comments:

Post a Comment