Thursday, May 31, 2012

The MTC Musical


I thought I should let everyone know that I've started a production of "MTC: The Muscial". It's gonna be huge when I get off my mission. I'm pretty sure everyone is going to love it. Basically I just burst into song about my daily activities. Sometimes I get looks, but I know they are looks of approval. We are so music deprived here, things have started to really go bonkers. Elders have been whistling the mocking jay tune from the Hunger Games. It's pretty hilarious, it just travels throughout the cafeteria all day, sometimes you even hear it throughout campus. I don't think it will ever stop. Speaking of the cafeteria, crazy things happen in there every day. The other day an Elder was challenged to drink 12 glasses of OJ. Now, those of you who have been here know what I'm talking about, but for those that don't - let's just say the OJ is some powerful stuff, like drano. Anyway, mid his 6th glass an old lady came up and scolded him. It was not missionary like. We all judged him. That's not missionary like either, but it's what happened. We repented. Sort of. Also, I have become besties with the cafeteria peeps. I've discovered they will give you secret stashes of food and they won't load your plate with groady beans and slimy, unnamed sides if they like you. Luckily they all like me. Phew. It's probably my amazing hair, just like Rapunzel's.
 
We finally had time to sing in the choir this week. That was much more fun that I thought it would be. We sang for the devotional last night so we had super awesome seats and I could see myself on the big screen and I had to try with all my might not to stare at myself. It might have been the hardest things I've ever done. Oh also the soprano I sat next too looked just like Mel from Flight of the Concords. I could not get that out of my mind the entire time, I was laughing so hard inside. That was probably the second hardest thing I've ever done in my life. On Sundays we get to watch Music and the Spoken Word and I have come to love that so much. I also love watching it because Seretta plays the trumpet in the orchestra and every time the camera zooms by I announce to my row that she is my cousin, she's famous. This Sunday they had a beautiful patriotic presentation in honor of Memorial Day. It was so good, it brought tears to my eyes. There were so many trumpet intensive songs, I was so excited to burst with pride seeing my cousin, but she wasn't there! It was so sad. I'll look forward to seeing her next week.
 
Sunday was a busy day for me. I got called up from the audience to give a talk. In Spanish. Surprise. So there I stood at the podium, speaking about baptism for 5 minutes...in Spanish. I prayed the whole time I was saying real words. I think I managed to get my point across, I read some scriptures to pass the time - well and because they are real good, I bore my childlike Spanish testimony and I quickly sat down. That was hard. Then I remembered how in 3 weeks I'm going to have to do this all the time and I about had a heart attack. Oh Spanish, I love you - please love me back. Later that day, my companion and I were in charge of the district lesson, I guess that is like Sunday School although none of us have really figured out the point of it. Anyway, we came up with a Pac-Man analogy. I love me some Pac-Man. It was the Pac-Man of baptism and it was amazing. My art-minded companion cut out an Elder and Hermana Pac-Man and some 'temptation ghosts'. We also had 'power pellets of faith' and 'fruits of strength' all to help investigators make the steps, have the faith needed for baptism. We ended up having an extra district join us so we were teaching about 15 Elders and 2 Hermanas. I think the Elders really loved it and I think we actually got some real spirituality out of it. Brother Monson took a photo of us on his phone and said he'd email it to you, Mom, hopefully he will. I'm sure I looked awesome. Later that night we watched Legacy in the auditorium. It's so funny to watch these churchy movies here. We watch a ton of them and every time there is ever the slightest romantic scene all the Elders, in unison, make a 'sssshhhing' sound at the screen. It's the funniest thing ever. I don't get it, but I love it. I usually have involuntary commentary as well and before I know it my entire section is laughing so hard they are crying. I pretend like it wasn't me that caused such a disturbance, but I'm not going to lie, it was and I enjoyed it.
 
I'm continually amazed here at the dedication and individual motivation the missionaries have here to study the Gospel. It blows my mind how hard everyone works here when there is no test, no grades, no money at stake. They are all working because they want to learn more so they can be the best missionary they can to help others. It is truly mind blowing to watch 19 year old boys work so hard on something so completely unselfish. I have such respect for Elders more than I ever have. Sure, they are 19 a lot and I'm continually reminded of that, but when they put their missionary hat on, the things they can do are truly indescribable. I'm so grateful to be able to watch it happen. It makes me beam with pride knowing that all my brothers are just as amazing and the twins right now are so awesome. What a blessing it is to me to have such awesome missionary brothers!
 
At the Sunday Fireside, the speaker talked about landing an airplane on an aircraft carrier. He met an ex navy pilot on a plane and asked him to tell him about it. He shared all the detailed measurements, hundreds of them, the angles, the speed and the account for deviations that must occur in order to not die. He then made a powerful analogy as to how we must be as exact as possible in all things as missionaries. If we are to wade through this mission and life, with such odds stacked up against us - like a moving ship, rough waters and wind gusts not to mention a teeny tiny landing deck - we have to trust our instruments and we have to watch for and quickly adjust for deviations. I loved that. I've noticed this here in the MTC more than anywhere else in my life, which makes me a little sad for all the time I wasted and so grateful for the clarity I have now. They talk about exact obedience here a lot, it's a big deal but it's so interesting because the deviations here at the MTC are little, little things but they sure make a huge difference. It's remarkable, everything here is like powered-up, it's intense, we become more effective the more obedient we are. It is when we learn to quickly adjust for those deviations, to correct ourselves, to humble ourselves and come unto Christ even more, we can see the results of the precision of our efforts in the love and blessings we receive. I know that as we strive to look for and quickly adjust the deviations in our life, we will see the great rewards our obedience, for our effort and our willing commitment to the Lord. The blessings are far greater than just safely landing, it's landing in the exact right spot at the exact right time. Just as I would imagine there is no greater feeling for these pilots to hit that deck, there is no greater feeling in the world knowing you're exactly where you wanted to be.
 
I love getting mail. It means so much to me, I had no idea. Thank you so much to all for loving me so much. I could not do this without you.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment