Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Emergency Exit


Well this week was something. Our teacher has informed us that we are only to speak in Spanish all the time...so that is fun. Sometimes I cheat and spell out an English word. I probably shouldn't cheat, that's not going to help me, but I'm a cheater. Whatever. I have learned again the super handy nature of sound effects. As the twins recall, mine are super good. Especially my gun sound affects, but I never really need those here. I have also been beefing up my miming skills. Most of my investigators chuckle at me when they figure out what I'm saying with my waving of hands and random sound effects. It works though. One of the Hermanas in our room received this crazy, ridiculous and totally old lady, Victorian sign with flowers and medallions and all kinds of flashy objects that says "Everyone smiles in the same language." You see this sign the moment you walk in our door and it reminds me that even if everything else fails me, people can still feel my spirit in my smile. Thank heavens or I might end up leading the children of Lehi off a cliff. Oops.
 
Speaking of our room, we are getting two new sisters today. They won't be in our zone, but we are told they are Spanish speaking and this will mean there are now 6 girls in our tiny 4x4 space. I had to pack up most of my stuff last week because I was using 3 closets. hehe. So I felt generous letting them have two of mine. I also made their beds which are the last two top bunks. Making a top bunk is the hardest thing in the world. Each one took me 30 min. I had to climb up, climb down, shake the bed, pull from underneath - I broke a sweat! I hope they appreciate my sacrifices. ha.
 
Yesterday I had to take my 'sick' companion to the Dr so I figured I'd make use of my wait and see if they could check my poor eyes out since I can't read 'EXIT' signs anymore. They don't have an eye Dr here at the MTC so they had to send me off campus. I got called to the front office after lunch and was told to wait for a shuttle, but first I had to sign my life away saying that I'd be good while off campus and I wouldn't buy any food/drink for me or anyone else and that I wouldn't rendezvous with anyone. I never thought about doing that until they mentioned it. Anyway, we got in this dark van and headed to downtown Provo. I felt like a dog going for a ride - I stuck my head out the window and enjoyed all the flashy signs and fresh air! It was so weird, but being locked up in here for 2 months it was amazing how cool PROVO looked to me. We had a blast at the eye Dr. He was the funniest, most laid back doctor I've ever been too in my life. Who knew that taking a 10 min drive to the eye doctor would be such an adventure. Oh how it was.
 
We are told the MTC is at full capacity right now. I guess it's busy season - and we can certainly feel it. The Devotional last night was packed and lots of missionaries had to go into the overflow rooms. My companion and I were a bit late, but we got the cushy seats near the front reserved for the senior couples, but just after a few minutes an usher came up and offered us front row seats! It was so exciting! I felt like a VIP - front row seats for a General Authority - I'm so fancy! Well about 10 min into the talk my companion starting some freaky convulsions. I couldn't figure out what she was doing, was she going to spew right there? Was she about to pass out? Was she dying? She blubbered, I have to go NOW. So there I stood in the very very front row of a full auditorium of 3000 missionaries, in front of a general authority, making a b-line for the exit. Once we got outside she just had to cough. Um. No comment. But then came running around the corner all the MTC security guards and the organist because everyone thought my companion was dying and EVERYONE could see us leaving in a hurry. Pretty sure we were on camera. How embarrassing. I'm pretty sure I'm banned from the front row for life.
 
With my companion being 'sick' so much this week, I've spent a lot of time by myself studying. That's been super weird and I'm shocked I don't fall asleep. That's a miracle in itself. I've had a lot of time to read the scriptures and talk to Heavenly Father in prayer. I never noticed how similar Moroni and HeMan are. It's true, go read about it. Anyway, I've am continually realizing how important the Holy Ghost is in the work of the Lord. It's very obvious here at the MTC the role he plays in conversion - not just the investigators, but each missionary. It's super clear to me that with the Holy Ghost, I would have nothing to say in Spanish and nothing I say would carry any weight to any one else. The Holy Ghost is the teacher and he sanctifies us. As we are sanctified by the Holy Ghost our entire perspective on everything changes. We long to be closer to Christ, to learn more, to feel more, to serve more and to hope more. As I look back on the past 5 years of my life I almost want to go back in a time machine and punch myself in the face for not taking advantage of the teachings of the Holy Ghost. His lessons centered on Christ, pointed directly at our own hearts, are absolutely beautiful and life changing. The MTC is a special place where missionaries are protected and sheltered so they can learn how to utilize the tools the Lord has given all of us because once we get back out in the world, that's all we have. I've been struggling with regret the past week about my slow realization of the teaching power of the Holy Ghost. I'm saddened that it took the Lord pushing me to go on a mission for me to realize what treasure I'd become so lazy with. It is only now that I can feel the power so strongly it's impossible to deny, that I can see so clearly what was missing before. That realizing, like poor Zeezrom's fever, is very painful. Please don't let the guiding, comforting, and teaching spirit of the Lord drift from your hearts. I promise that as you draw closer to Christ and cling to the sanctifying spirit you will find true joy, direction and purpose in your life, for it has truly saved mine.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall
 
P.S. Mom, you mentioned loving the new LDS videos. I can't get over the accents. Every time I watch one, and we've seen them all a million times, I picture Zoolander or Ben Stiller from Dodge Ball. I can't stop it now.

1 comment:

  1. Love you. Yousound awesome. Enjoy cuz it.goes so fast

    ReplyDelete