Thursday, May 17, 2012

Back to the Future


This past week has flown by! Yesterday, Elder L Tom Perry came to speak at our Devotional. I had no idea how tall he is! He's tall and I don't mean my interpretation of 5'6" being tall I mean he is like 6'3"! I was shocked. When you just see these men on tv, they all look about the same height, which I think in my head is 5'6". Perspectives. They happen. I've also decided that all old married couples look exactly the same. You know, how people say dogs look like their owners, well...old husbands and wives look the same too. At least that is how it goes for the entire Mission Presidency and most of the general authorities that have come. Last week Christofferson came and I swear his wife was him with a pretty blouse and some make up. That might be blasphemy, but it's also fact.
 
Speaking of perspectives...we aren't aloud to listen to any music here and we can't dance in public. I had no idea how much I'd miss these things. So I get all my dancing out in the shower and my room. Since we are so music deprived, except for the constant humming on campus of Come Thou Fount and There is Sunshine in my Soul, we resort to some strange measures. At night, there are a few girls that will get in the showers and sing hymns in harmony. I love it so much that sometimes I'll just take a sit right there and listen. I never thought I'd hang out in a bathroom just to hear some sweet music. This is who I've become. We do other silly things around here to bring enjoyment, like finding silly cards in the MTC bookstore that I'm pretty sure would not be funny anywhere else and telling Gospel related puns in class. You do what you have to do. I realized how desparate I was getting for shopping when I wanted to go to the MTC bookstore just to 'look around'. You know you are in bad shopping withdrawals when looking at phamplets, MTC clothing and highlighters starts to become super exciting. I'm in trouble. What I wouldn't do for a Macy's catalogue!
 
The other day in class something reminded me of Back to the Future so I started reenacting a scene, it wasn't until I was a good 5 min in that I realized everyone was giving me blank stares. Oh right...no one here has EVER seen that movie. Yikes. Since every day, all day is all about Gospel it is pretty easy to forget the age gap I'm experiencing, until someone starts talking about Barney or other cartoons I've never heard of. Then when I try to relate words of wisdom learned from movies like Back to the Future they have no idea. Shame on this generation!
 
On to the spiritual side. Can I just say how much I love the Book of Mormon?! I really do. It's like an entirely new book to me. I can't believe it. I remember when I was being set apart as a missionary and the stake president said I would find joy in the scriptures and the doctrines there in...I can also remember chuckling slightly to myself because I've always been so terrible about reading them. I used to use them as my lullabies. Not anymore! What a blessing that has been to really find the tasty sweetness of the scriptures. I think it also helps that I don't have anything else to read or watch, but I'm sure enjoying reading about all the Nephite adventures and their really dumb and yet totally common misfortunes. Sometimes I find myself yelling at them...come on you Nephites, just listen to the prophets and stop wearing fancy scarves! Geez! I've also been learning a lot about prayers. We pray a ton here, it is like the thing to do. Everyone does it. All the time. I still don't pray in the cafeteria, it looks weird...actually I look weird because I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't. Don't worry I am still grateful for my food. But, what I've learned about prayers is they are so much more involved than I ever thought. Learning to have a real conversation with your Father in Heaven takes practice and having the faith to poor out your soul and know that someone is listening and will answer is quite remarkable. I'm gaining a stronger testimony of prayer and I'm starting to not be afraid to ask for the help I really need...like Espanol. I can feel the impact of my prayers though the day. I know they have changed me and I can see how they've changed the other missionaries here too. What a sweet, simply miracle prayer is!
 
I'm heading back to quarantine. Hopefully I can kick this nastiness quickly, I've got lots of super important things to do here!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment