Saturday, October 12, 2013

System Shut Down

I'm pretty sure my body is fully aware that my mission is coming to an end because it has already started to shut down. I have to go through a morning process of dumping my body out of bed and then slowing rolling onto my knees, hands and roll my head back. It's terrible. I can hear my bones popping as I walk and I'm pretty sure my back is so tight you could bounce rubber balls off it for hours. I'm trying to trick my head into thinking it's not going home, but I can't seem to fool my body! 

The other day we were a bit low on our weekly contacts so we decided to head to the local park. We totes lucked out this day because there was a huge Mexican reunion! It was the best! We talked to about 50 of them, left our cards and testimonies and ran out before they gave us plates heaping full of beans and rice. I did grab a piece of steak which I ate like jerky on the go. I mean, you can't pass up some good carne asada. I love the Spanish program and it loves me...well my hips at least. 

Later that evening we stopped by a young recent convert's home who doesn't have family support and has a hard time getting to church. We talked about her coming back to church and she said she's busy right now preparing for Communion. Oh great. I tried to explain why she was covered and didn't need that but I think grandma worrying about her damned soul is winning right now. Dang it. At the end she said a lovely prayer that included praying for her brother to get of jail and that her mom can stop lying and that she can avoid getting in trouble with her stupid friends. I had to hold in my giggles. It was such a sweet and honest prayer. I love little honest prayers. I should probably also be praying for me to avoid trouble. Good call, little one. 

Then we had to go to our 2nd dinner for the evening. Chicken soup. Everyone looked like they were about to die. Since I have the most 'experience' at the table, it was I that took one for the team and we sneakily passed around our bowls when they weren't looking and I managed to push down 3 huge bowls of this chicken water. Oh man. I'm surprised I didn't burst like a dam. Not only have I sort of learned Spanish...but I have also developed a ridiculous large, steel lined stomach. Thanks Mexico. 

I went on exchanges with Spain the other day. That was so much fun. I can actually tell that my Spanish is better because my headache wasn't as bad for speaking only Spanish for 30 hours. Hooray! Don't worry, I am here to assure everyone that I indeed still have a Mexican/Spanish accent. It's pretty adorable. Spain loves it and so do all the Mexican day workers. Oops. We had a few extra minutes at the end of the day so we decided to take a little drive around the amusement park here - Great America. I've wanted to see it ever since I got here but it's hidden in the middle of the city so you can never see it from the road. We found a little private road just behind the park and then creepily drove it back and forth for like 15 min watching all the people scream. It was so fun. Ah the exciting mission life. 

Yesterday I ate pancakes made from lentils. Just sayin. I bet my mom just got super interested about that and is going to ask me for the recipe. 

Oh man. I can't wait to come home and just spend time with the family and friends. I'm excited that I feel like I know how to be a missionary all the time now. I'm looking forward to that. I'm looking forward to smiling more and letting people know why it is that I am. The general authorities certainly spoke very boldly to the world this weekend. I've sure learned to be pretty bold as a missionary and I hope I can continue to do my part as a member and testator of Christ when I return. Goooo Jesus!

xoxo,
Hna Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment