Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Spaniard


How many missionaries does it take to totally freak out a ward? 6. I've collected three new sisters in my area this past week. A Chilean, a Spaniard and a blond. We are quite the team. There are also still 2 Elders and we all cover the same ward. It's intense. I thought we'd all be staring at each other for awhile trying to figure out what to do with a mass of missionaries, but turns out there is a ton of work to do and we've been running around so much we could probably even use more missionaries. The three new sisters spoke in church on Sunday and I could just see everyone's eyes getting really big as they were probably thinking about how many referrals they were going to have to come up with now. haha.
 
I got the Spaniard. I am so lucky. Everyone is so jealous of her and her sweet accent. It's been super awesome for me because she is trying to learn English so in order to communicate I have to speak in Spanish. In the process I'm learning that we make no sense in English. It's been good times. The day I picked her up, the APs told her she was going to be with someone who is really spunky. We spent the next hour trying to figure out how to explain that in Spanish. I think she's got the general idea of it out now. She's my first Spaniard and I'm her first Texan. We are so adorable. I did make sure to ask her if it was ok that I called her my Spaniard. I'm not sure she understood me, but she said it was fine so I'm going with it.
 
There was a serious shortage of teachers on Sunday so all the Hermanas ended up teaching the 16 yr old Sunday School class and Young Women's. It was probably my favorite Sunday yet. At first I was afraid I was going to be super terrible because I'm so old and not hip anymore, but then I remembered that's not even close to true and I'm super hilarious...and humble. We talked about how we could develop better scripture study habits and actually got all of them to agree and be slightly excited about having a weekly Book of Mormon study class. 16 yr olds. I know, I'm just as shocked. In Young Women's we talked about how to cope with death by basically teaching them how to teach the missionary lesson on the Plan of Salvation so now I've trained an entire army of women to be mini-missionaries. This ward is going to turn into the city of Enoch any day. I wrote that down as a goal in my planner. Totally reasonable.
 
Last night for ward FHE we decided to talk about obtaining the attributes of Jesus Christ. In Preach My Gospel there are 8 and we are going to work on a new one each week. We started with faith last night and talked about the importance of having faith in Jesus Christ and how we could work to develop this. What I enjoyed the most about our discussion is that faith, in order to be something, must be turned into an action word. There is that famous scripture...somewhere...faith without works is dead. I've learned this better on my mission than I think any other point in my life because I've seen people who have applied it and seen miracles, and people who refuse to apply it and shockingly...nothing happens. As we act on our faith by following the example of Jesus Christ, keeping the commandments and bettering ourselves, we open the gates of heaven for miracles to occur. Faith is truly the foundation of all godly power. Our faith is exercised everyday in the actions we do, and our Christlike actions give us the access to all the blessings of our Heavenly Father. We set goals of temple attendance, scripture study and serving/loving others as ways to strengthen our faith in Christ. I would encourage anyone to join us on this journey of the 8 attributes of Christ. Study and practice with us...beginning with faith in Jesus Christ.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall 

No comments:

Post a Comment