Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Que lo coma


They made me eat a cricket. Ick.  I did not enjoy it. While at a recent covert's home the other night, enjoying a nice dinner of beans, they pulled out this bag of red things and everyone started cheering and putting then in their mouth. I had no idea what was going on and couldn't understand the word they were saying so finally my companion leaned over and said, it's a cricket, want one? What the...NO! For the next 20 minutes I was harassed, taunted, mocked, scoffed and even threatened to be kicked out of the house if I didn't try the cricket. They started pounding on the table and chanting "Que lo coma!' (Eat it, wussy face) and I finally gave in. I closed my eyes and stuck out my hand and my companion passed me one which I immediately dropped because I was holding a cricket! I took a few deep breaths and then just shoved it in my mouth. After one crunch I was done for, as I started to scream realizing half of it was still stuck in my teeth. Ewwww. I drank an entire bottle of orange fanta to wash it out, while everyone at the table was laughing their little hearts out. I was paranoid the rest of the day that I had legs sticking out of my mouth. Gross. I for sure flossed very thoroughly that night.
 
Confession: I watched the Super Bowl. I am justifying this by the fact that we also taught a lesson to new investigators during the game. I'm not really sure how we did that, but we did. Of course we all took a moment to watch the halftime show. Man, that Beyonce sure looks good...but she burned my retinas with all the scandalous moves. I couldn't take my eyes off it! They had to physically pull me into the other room. This is what happens to missionaries. Media comas. Anyway, it really helped having the stadium lights go out so we could finish the lesson. In fact, that might actually be why the lights went out. I wouldn't be surprised.
 
My recent convert has started calling herself my spiritual daughter. Hm. Indeed. This was right after she knelt down before me to give her extended gratitude for me saving her soul. It felt so Book of Mormon...then awkward. I decided it's nice that she sees missionaries this way...as long as she keeps it a normal amount of crazy. One thing is for sure, the missionary life is never predictable. Thank heavens cause we could get really bored out here.

With a belly full of flan the other day, I realized the latins are trying to fatten me up. I'm not really sure what they intend to do with me afterward, but it's for sure a conspiracy. They also like to trick me into eating spicy chiles. They love to watch my reactions. I feel like I'm in a circus without even knowing it...like Pinocchio. I swear I'm a real white girl. No matter what, I still seem to provide an endless amount of entertainment at dinner appointments. Whether I'm saying ridiculous things on accident in Spanish or just making a fool of myself, I provide lots of opportunity for laughter. Just last night I noticed there was sour cream all over my dress and the table...what the, how did I? Then I realized when I sat down my owl pendant had gone head first into the cream on my enchiladas and I'd been dragging the owl dipped necklace all over the place. How embarrassing. Later I announced that "I was really hot" and not the temperature kind. Everyone agreed and laughed hysterically. Hey, at least they all agreed. White girls.
 
On a side note, there are geese outside our apartment that I'm pretty sure are trying to kill us.
 
On Sunday we had an excellent broadcast stake conference featuring Elder Perry. The first guy directed his remarks towards teens and YSA's and then started talking about germs...hm interesting. He lost me for a bit, but in the end I really liked it. He talked about how when we don't have an understanding of something we make false assumptions about it. This was related to the discovery that germs can be transmitted by hand and therefor it's a good idea to wash your hands - which is now a big duh. He then went on to clarify the differences between the natural and spiritual world and to be careful that we don't explain the things of the spirit away by worldly teachings. I loved this. We are spiritual beings and as such we can learn a lot more by the spirit than by that of the world. He gave us some tips on how we can stay in tune with the spirit so we are not fooled, reverence during church and getting rid of the static of sin so we don't drown out the spirit. A good reminder. Elder Perry then spoke about missionaries so I felt famous. They are really encouraging members to step up their game and find us referrals - talking to friends, being a friend and sharing the gospel openly. I can see how it sounds like a lot, and how it might be scary but trust me, we need it! It makes such a difference to have members doing this and it turns out it's not that scary after all. Please use the resources the church has set up, Mormon.org, Facebook, pass along cards. Help us spread the good news, plus you'll get blessings. Hooray blessings!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment