Monday, April 8, 2013

Changes


There were a lot of changes for us this week. I got a new companion. She's from Mesa, Arizona and she is 20. She's very excited to be a missionary so I plan to milk that for all it's worth. We also had to move this week...that was interesting. The only time we had was in between Conference sessions on Saturday and that's what we did. We squeezed in a lunch lesson and then in 40 min moved everything. Thank heavens we don't have much stuff as missionaries or that could have been a nightmare. We had to move into an old Elders apartment so I'm obviously being a brat about the state of the furniture. They don't even have real desks, they were using a hutch...what the? Elders.
 
Cute things my new comp did this week:
1) Thought she could handle an entire Serrano in one bite. Hilarity ensued...for me; she was in complete and utter shock as her body spent all of its efforts rejecting every trace of the chile. I studied while her body returned to normal. I think she'll believe me next time when I warn her about 'picoso'.
2) Asked a Honduran if she was Mexican. Oops.
3) Learned that Taco Bell is not real Mexican food.
 
Things I learned at Conference: in Spanish, the women speakers don't annoy me. Also in Spanish, it's even easier to fall asleep. President Monson is hilarious and fire and dry grass are always terrible combinations. There were lots of wonderful talks on marriage and family that as a missionary touch my heart in two ways. For one, I'm thinking about all the families that we teach that really, desperately need the gospel of Jesus Christ to center their home, to establish good principles to protect their families in these troubled days. Second, I just want to get married. Whatever, I said it. It's true.
 
While waiting for my new companion I got to spend two days with my previous redheaded companion. We had such a blast together and I was reminded of the joy this work brings. Also we got 2 new baptism dates so that was a sweet bonus. Sometimes I get so bogged down with the Spanish I still can't speak, the scriptures I don't know, the gospel principles I'm not sure how to clearly explain to this family that so desperately needs them that I forgot this is all the Lord's work, His way, His time and you know what, it's a blast. When I stop for a second, take a step back and remember that I am just His tool in this effort I can see and feel all the joys that it has to offer. There is a reason that Ammon comes back from his mission so excited that he passes out - there is such happiness here and it's a blessing for our efforts. They talked about this yesterday, each responsibility we have has members to share the gospel - right now I'm doing it all the time and for that I get to see all the blessings every second, but I have seen it in the lives of members who take those steps of faith as well. It sure seems scary and overwhelming, but the Lord is guiding this and I promise as we make a plan to start He will direct us with blessings and joy.
 
xoxo,
Hna Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment