Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Monterey


So yesterday our district went to Monterey to play on the beaches. Don't freak out, we are California missionaries and we totally have permission to go to the beach...we just can't touch the water. We had a super great time eating clam chowder on the wharf, seeing an extremely unimpressive lighthouse and walking along the rocky coastline. As usual I managed to embarrass myself in a variety of ways throughout the day bringing laughter and enjoyment to all in my presence. I'm so selfless.
I accidentally pushed my companion down in the sand...ok not accidentally, it was totes on purpose and it was hilarious. Right after, with good reason, she wanted to get me back so I ran for my life...but like a penguin would run because she's really tall, Canadian and basically stands no chance of keeping up with me so I didn't want her to feel like a total failure. So here I was running around the beach like a penguin, everyone giggling because I looked supes adorbs and then bam...a rock comes from out of nowhere and attacks my foot so I go flying face first into the sand right in front of ALL the missionaries. I think everyone peed their pants, except me, I just had sand everywhere including places that are not appropriate to mention. Ah memories.
 
This past Sunday was the Mexican Dia de los Reyes (Day of the Kings) so they brought out a huge, multicolored ring of bread and proceeded to explain that there were babies inside. What?! Turns out, it's just like a Mardi Gras King Cake. Phew. There are little plastic babies inside and if you get the baby Jesus you have to cook for everyone which doesn't really sound like winning, but I guess it comes also with gracious gifts from above. So as I cut into the baby Jesus cake, I managed to cut right on top of baby Jesus but not actually getting it. Phew. I did however get a standing toddler holding a heart...not sure exactly what that means...I heard something about being the next to get married. Ahh!!!!!!!! Anyway, it was super fun and delish.
 
We invited everyone we could this week to be baptized and they all said yes. I love the Spanish program. Of course we have to get them to actually do it, but I'll take a yes for now. Our President has been encouraging us to invite more quickly, boldly and frequently so we decided to step things up a notch. It's not even scary! I think I've been surprised at how easy it is to do and it's all about confidence in what you are doing. Thank heavens I'm doing a good thing and can put all my confidence in God otherwise I'd be up a creek. We know the things we are inviting people to do will bless their lives and that takes a lot of pressure off the actual question, the invitation to do it. Just a year ago I remember how scary it was to talk to anyone about this gospel. I always felt uncomfortable sharing pretty much anything and would avoid it whenever possible. I never hid my religion, but I certainly would have liked to keep it out of the conversation as much as possible. Although these fears are understandable, they are really not as serious as I had once believed. People are almost always interested in making their lives better and this Gospel is the way to do it so why not share it! We just need to have confidence that we are on the right team...and we are. So, come help share the gospel with me. Let's get some more Mormons, we are pretty sweet.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment