Tuesday, January 15, 2013

BIRTHDAY


Most important things first, it's my birthday! I'm also getting transferred out of my first area tomorrow so today is going to be a whirlwind and will consist of one of my favorite things to do in the world...pack! Hooray for birthday packing!
 
We had a baptism this weekend and despite all things pointing to complete and utter disaster it went very well. It was one of the shortest baptisms I have ever been to which was a relief for all involved. Here are some highlights: our speaker didn't show up until after the actual baptism so one of the Elders filled in, our convert shouted praises during the hymns, burst into loud tears during the Elder's testimony and my personal favorite, she just floated there in the baptismal font for a bit. I guess she was really trying to take it all in. Cool. After she got out I had to help her dump all the water that has accumulated in the bottom of her jumpsuit from her little float about and I couldn't help by laugh out loud as she slipped down the stairs leaving me to awkwardly pick her up - I'm pretty sure everyone heard that. But hey, what's a baptism without a little drama, right?
 
The next day was even more drama filled as she refused to come and get confirmed. After much 'persuasion' by my soothing Spanish on the phone she finally agreed to come if a specific Elder (in another area) would drive all the way down and do it. After calling the Bishop down from the stand during the first talk and a few phone calls to President to get the ok, she and the Elder finally made it during the intermediate hymn. She was then so overtaken by the spirit that she stood up, turned around and knelt down right there on the pew. I just smiled as everyone glanced over at us in sheer horror as if looking for permission to run out of the room - or laugh. That was a cute little surprise. Well, I just brought this ward a fun new member...and I'm outta here - you're welcome! haha!
 
Last night was the devotional for all the missionaries that are leaving this transfer. We had an investigator come and she started clapping during some of the testimonies. My comp and I just sat there pretending we weren't sitting next to the clapper...but we were those missionaries - we brought the clapper. I probably should have started clapping too...I mean once things start going that direction you really should just get the heck out of there or jump on board.
 
Anyway...I've really enjoyed my first area here on the mission. I've learned a lot, I've seen a lot and I've spoken a lot of really terrible Spanish. I'm super sad to leave my amazing redhead companion - we were such a stellar team for a glorious 6 weeks. But alas I'm off to other places that are clearly in need of my 'sweet spirit'. Lucky ducks. Stay tuned to all the mission goodness that awaits!
 
Also I had to eat menudo this week. That was not enjoyable. I do not want to talk about it. There was hair. Enough said.
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment