Sunday, September 23, 2012

Freaky Friday


So, I just have to say this how it was, our investigator totally got possessed this week. Yeah, that happened. The Elders had to give him, his apartment and his friend a blessing and then we had to get rid of the possessed trolls he had collected from a Satanic shop. Oh yeah, that turned out to be a terrible purchase. Thank goodness for the Priesthood, it saved his life and it was super intense. I felt like I was in a movie. That crap is no joke. On the upside, after the exorcism, I told him he was going to need to get baptized in two weeks...he agreed. Phew. Glad we got that cleared up. Talk about crazy town...I've been experiencing a lot of wackadoo going down in SJ town. I think I'm discovering that my people, the Latinos, have a lot of experiences those other white people just don't have - like they see stuff. Stuff that would make me scream and then wet my pants. It's unreal. Sometimes I don't believe them, I just nod and open my eyes real big, but after this week, uh yeah...they are not kidding.
 
Anyway...after our victory over demons, a member asked me to dye her hair. I figure if I can speak Spanish I can probably also dump color on someone's head. So now I'm a vampire slayer and a beautician. Take that Buffy.
 
We also had an encounter with a free mason. Apparently there are several out here. He showed me his fancy, secret ring. Awesome. He knows more than all of us.Then I tried to give a Mormon.org card to a guy, he took it from me so I was like it's super great and it's about Jesus! He gave it back saying "ew no."  Wow, that guy is gonna be in trouble. Later that night, I discovered my real skill out here was to help a 9 yr old read fairy tales...in English. It was the best day ever. To top it all off her dad asked me how to say words in English. I was so on it. I rocked that day.
 
Sometimes I'm in a lesson and I can't stay awake. That's a confession. It's also the end of the story. Our ward has been going through some serious changes recently and we have a new ward mission leader, who is awesome, and a new Elder who eats the rest of my food when I can't and will drink the nasty juices for me. I'm pretty close to being Latina though. Maybe just like another month or two. I put Tajin on my fruit now - that's how I know. Sometimes the members trick me though, we'll be talking in Spanish and all of a sudden I'll understand everything we're talking about and I'll get really excited that I have the gift of tongues and now my mission is really going to explode and then I realize, they switched to English. Tricksters.
 
Anyway, a few weeks ago I got a letter from an awesome friend. He said he's been working on replacing the word 'lucky' in his vocabulary with 'blessed'. I love that. My blessing vision has gotten so much better as a missionary and those little tricks like changing a word, a perspective, an attitude have made all the difference. We know we get blessings every single day so it's only a matter of looking for them and trust me, they are everywhere. It blows my mind sometimes, well all the time. Being blessed is not a condition, it's a decision. Today I decide to be blessed, come decide to be blessed with me! Blessing party!!
 
xoxo,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment