Thursday, April 26, 2012

First week - check


Well I officially made it through my first week at the MTC and it was something that's for sure. I overheard someone describe this place as a big umbrella and it certainly is that, figuratively and literally as all the walk ways are covered. Spiritually speaking, this is a bubble where the holy spirit hangs out and brings help, comfort, and understanding to everyone here. It's wonderful! It's also quite a bit of a roller coaster, an emotional one. So far I've done super great keeping my head on straight, I'm way proud of myself and chalk that up to having my breakdowns years ago. Here I just kind of stand back and watch as other sisters go through about 500 emotions in under 5 min. It's truly amazing. My companions are so tenderhearted and some of them are really suffering from home sicknesses, it's hard to watch, my heart aches for them. I certainly miss all my family and friends very much, but some how I'm running off the knowledge that all of you are with me, rooting for me and I'm not alone here. I'm so very grateful for all the letters of encouragement I've received, nothing replaces the simple words of people you care about when doing this kind of work. I simply can not thank you enough and please don't stop!
 
I am still trying to adjust to the food. It almost feels like going to another planet, where all the food is brown and your belly just doesn't stop expanding. The Elders seem to like it though, I can see why - it's endless and they get to have whatever they want without even eating their veggies. I love the Elders here so much.  There are 6 in my district and they have already become like adopted brothers. In fact, every time I look at them I'm reminded of Sean and Scott out there serving right now. There is certainly plenty of shenanigans from them, but when they are in missionary mode, it's truly beautiful. They lift my spirits and I've witnessed wonderful acts of pure faith from them...19 year old boys in the MTC for only one week. Miracles. Seriously. We are extremely out numbered here, the sisters that is, by a sea white shirts and ties. The other day I had a meeting with 15 men and just me, so weird.  For the most part they are so respectful. They open our doors, they move out of our way, they say hello, they look to us - well most of us - for advice and support. I'm grateful to their parents and to them for learning respect to women and the real sacredness of their calling, and 90% of the time they have it spot on.
 
There is a girl that sings hymns while in the shower every morning...at 6 am. When I first get in there I usually want to shake her, but then after a few moments her sweet voice and spirit calms my heart and mind. I love that kind of simple change. Especially since all the other kind of changes around here seem to be really hard and a tad painful. The past few days I've really been focusing and learning on how to keep the spirit with me as my #1 goal. I have been so overwhelmed by learning all this doctrine, memorizing scripture AND speaking Spanish that I fail to remember that what really teaches and the only thing that can really express the feelings faith in Christ brings is the Spirit. So, I've been telling myself my terribly broken Spanish doens't matter, my spirit will make up the difference in my poor grammar and lack of vocabulary. I've never had my tongue tied like this before, expressing myself never seemed so impossible in my entire life. Hence, the challenge I have here...of course. As I continue to focus on my personal study, the words of God and keeping myself with the Spirit, I know it will come and no matter what words come out of my mouth, the people I talk to will feel it too. Win win. The good news...I can understand the Spanish and I can read it, almost without fail...but no yo hablo.
 
So, President Monson's nephew is in our Branch Presidency and that's pretty awesome. He looks very much like him and as some of the same expressions and way of speaking, it makes me giggle. He is also of course very wise, loving and fluent in Spanish. Last night we were also pleased to hear from Russel M Nelson during our Devotional. That was so fun, to have him so close. I'm not going to lie, it was kind of boring, but he did bring a strong message. He taught us 9 principles of The Doctrine. He compared The Doctrine to a diamond, with many facets - I liked that...because he was talking about diamonds. I'm running out of time so I'll try to talk about those 9 Doctrines later after I've had time to let them sink in.
 
Don't worry, I've learned a strategy for getting off my top bunk. Everyone can rest easy. Thank you all for your love and support.
 
Love,
Hermana Hall
 
P.S. I could use some cute stationary paper to write everyone that loves me so. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment